Monday, June 19, 2006

Sun, Jun 18, 2006

A few of you have asked about pic on the front page of the quilt in the photo of Nora sleeping in her crib... Is this one I made?

Well no, but sort of ;) When I was about 8 or 9 yeas old, my mom was going to use up some of her scraps to make a very small quilt for me to use with a small baby doll. Well I being her helper and having bigger and better ideas kept insisting that it be bigger. It went from being 12" x 12" to a little larger so that my bigger baby dolls my Cabbage Patch kid could be wrapped up - fully demonstrating to her that it was not big enough to wrap all the way around and tuck in good... to - "Well, Mom, since we have added this much more we may as well make it big enough to use for a real baby one day."

I am sure that my Mom didn't have plans to get into another project, but I am SO glad that she was easily convinced to go along with my wishes. Because now, some twenty years later... here is my baby all wrapped up in the love that my mom used to make this very special and one of a kind quilt for "me and my baby".

It's been 7 years since my mom passed away and I so wish that she could have met Nora. My Mom's mother, Bonnie, who I was named after died before I was born too and so I already know what it will be like for Nora to grow up only hearing about her grandmother. I hope that I will do as good of a job as my mother did of sharing stories of her mom so that my daughter will know what a great woman my Mother really was.

My mom let me pick an choose the left over 4 patches to use and arrange them how I wanted and when it came time to do the hand quilting, Mom even let me add a few of my own first stitches.

I love wrapping Nora up in this quilt and cherish my memory of my Mother and hope that years from now, Nora will use the same quilt with her child. :)

No comments: