Friday, January 30, 2009

Getting Ready a little early..

Today (Fri) while the babies were napping - Nora and I got a head start on her Valentines. One of the little girls in her class named Carley passed out her Valentines last week??? I'm not sure why so early?? but that got Nora in the mood to begin making her own too.

First we cut out a heart template and then traced it all about on the poster board. Nora even helped on this part which took lots of concentration on her part ;) I wish I had taken photos of us in progress... but at the time I didn't think of it.
I bought a 5 pack of glitter pens, which didn't go far... but we did the best we could with them. It was Nora's idea to add the buttons to the glitter paint while they were wet. I'm hoping they stick.

No one can truly appreciate these homemade hearts as much as I can... these are her **treasured buttons** ... the same buttons she has been playing with, cooking with, counting and sorting for over 2 years now as I worked on my quilting projects... First upstairs in the sewing/guest bedroom and recently in the dining room where I've moved my sewing machine to.

In the guest room, she'd carefully carry them over on a platter to the night stand and have me stop what I was working on to come open her oven doors for her... ;)

I only cut around about half of them - I'll save the rest for her to work on later. I know she's gonna be mad at me for even cutting on some of them as she is so independent... ;) We'll have to go shopping to find the perfect heart suckers to tape to the back of each valentine..

I only wish now we had cut them out first and she'd signed her name on the back of each heart. It will be hard for her to do that now with the buttons glued on. *sigh* Hind sight is 20/20.

Monday she will take shoebox to school to decorate as her mailbox for Valentine's Day. I don't recall ever making one of my own as a kid - but do remember other kids having them with them on the school bus. I always thought the shiny ones were the prettiest. (aluminum foil)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bonnie,
I have been following your blog for some time now and your post on Saturday about Nora's valentines and her imaginative play with her buttons really took me back. My boys will be 18 in 22 days (yes twins also) but I remember that age and the way that they used all sorts of things to emulate the things that I did. Now, however, they are all boy!

Getting back to my reason for emailing you (other than finally jumping into the blogging world, I've been lurking for far too long). Have Nora sign her name on the stickers (heart ones or blank mailing labels) then just apply them to the back of the cards.

I hope that you get my email, as it's from an unknown source (security settings and all that stuff) and one of these days I will get up the courage to start posting to the blogs that I follow!

Cindy in Edgewater, Florida