Thursday, May 7, 2009

Show-n-tell - on of my quilted treasures.

This Lone Star Quilt was hand pieced and hand quilted by my Grandmother, Momma Newt. She gave it to my parents as a wedding gift in 1954. It was her tradition to give couples a quilt of this pattern when they married and she did so for all of her children and 17 of her 18 grandchildren.

Momma Newt passed away in 1995 two years before my wedding so since I was the only one in the family who didn't receive a Lone Star made my Momma Newt my mother gifted me with the one she and Daddy received some 40+ years before. ;)


I'm so lucky to have such a special and meaningful treasure. I love all of my "Momma Newt Quilts" especially this one! So last year when it was time to hit the road runnin' to evacuate for Hurricane Ike, I couldn't take EVERY quilt... but y I grabbed up this one along with a few others and loaded em up in the passenger's side around the computer. They made for good padding and I knew I just couldn't live with out them if our home flooded.


No comments: